Starting a new company
Registering a company name with Companies House does not also give trade mark protection.
To start a company, you will need to have the following information ready:
- Company Name and Address
- Officer Details (Director and Secretary)
- Share Capital and Shareholder Details
You can start a company in one of three ways:1. Companies House Web Incorporation Service (for a private company limited by shares, with model articles)
You can also register for Corporation Tax using this service.
Access the Companies House Web Incorporation Service 2. Using a Formation Agent You can use a formation agent to incorporate any type of company and they can also provide you with specialist advice.
Access the list of Formation Agents 3. On paper forms sent directly to Companies House View more information on filing paper incorporations with Companies House
Online Incorporation survey: To help us understand your use of our online incorporation service we would welcome your feedback. The Online Incorporation Survey should take no longer than 5 minutes, all the information you supply when completing a survey will be treated with the utmost confidentiality.
Other useful links:
- Register for Corporation Tax
- ‘Incorporation and Names’ guidance
- Important advice for first time directors
- Companies House Price List
- Intellectual Property Explained (PDF 3,027KB) – including patents, trade marks, copyrights and designs
- Company Names and Trade Marks
- Trade Mark search (Intellectual Property Office)
- Register a Trade Mark (GOV.uk)
- ICAEW Business Advice Service